by Meera Patel, Trainee Solicitor
The Coronavirus is giving rise to the need to adapt the way in which local authorities currently work to meet the unique challenge the pandemic presents.
North West Leicestershire Legal are still available to provide up to the minute, practical advice on the usual services we cover and as a result of the pandemic, the latest developments in a range of areas; key legal changes, advice that has been issued in the areas of governance, procurement and state aid.
Some recent changes and guidance provided below;
- In relation to Public Procurement; The New Procurement Policy Note responding to COVID-19 (PPN 01/20) issued by the Cabinet Office provides some useful guidance.
- The Commission has issued its own guidance on the application of the Public Contracts rules in the current circumstances entitled, Guidance from the European Commission on using the public procurement framework in the emergency situation related to the COVID-19 crisis.
- The holding of remote meetings; The new Local Authorities and Crime Panels (Coronavirus)(Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings) (England and Wales) Regulations 2020 .
- In relation to state aid; with effect from 19th March (since updated on 4th April 2020), within a Communication entitled, Temporary Framework for State aid measures to support the economy in the current COVID-19 outbreak special arrangement have been put in place, namely that the Framework identifies a number of different permissible measures
- This has enabled Local Authorities to deliver the schemes for “expanded retail discount” giving rate relief to retailers, the Small Business Grant Fund and the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund.
We are keen to keep in touch and hear how clients are maintaining operations during this unprecedented time. Please contact us if you require any support. We are still working remotely and fully accessible in aiding legal advice.